February 9, 2013
This is a powerful testimony, well worth reading. Also worth noting: the wonderful example of grace and truth in the ministry of the pastor and his wife who reached out to this lady.
I wish more Christians were like this! We should be – we follow Jesus, who is full of grace and truth! (John 1:14) Dan Cathy sets a wonderful example here. Props also to Shane Windmeyer for returning kindness to Dan Cathy and for the boldness to write this article despite the potential for criticism.
January 21, 2013
Some encouraging thoughts here on the adoption of a Russian orphan. Adoption is beautiful!
August 2, 2012
I enjoyed this blog post. Adoption is about belonging, and belonging for real.
July 13, 2012
Brent Osterberg gives 11 reasons why. Read it here.
June 19, 2012
I think there’s a lot of wisdom in this blog post.
June 14, 2012
These are some lessons I’ve learned from motherhood either by the wise counsel of friends or by God’s grace in revealing it to me:
- GOD GIVES GRACE whenever it’s needed! Be humble and depend on that grace.
- God will give wisdom to your husband to lead you in caring for your child.
- When you think you have it down, something will change and God will show you you are ALWAYS in need of His grace.
- Rely on the Church. You can’t do it alone! God works through His people to provide grace and wisdom that you need in raising your child – whether it be how to calm a fussy baby, how to potty train and discipline a toddler, or how to help a teenager learn respect.
- Find at least one experienced mom from the church that you can call at any point in the day or night for help – especially the 1st month of your baby’s life.
- Spend A LOT of time getting to know your baby- his/her cries, gestures, mannerisms, etc.
- Many people will give you good advice. At the end of the day, choose to do what you and your husband feel most comfortable with and don’t feel guilty if you’re not doing something like everyone else.
- Cherish every moment with your baby – even the most mundane tasks.
- When people say “they grow up so quickly!” – IT’S TRUE.
- Trust in the instinct God has given you as a mom to care for your child.
- When one thing isn’t working – try another, and another, and another…!
- Newborn poop DOES stink.
- Enjoy each stage! If tempted to despair, remind yourself that “this too shall pass.”
- It’s amazing all the things you can do with ONE hand.
- Everything is new for your baby (and for you if you’re a 1st time mom), so give him/her lots of grace.
- God has given your child to you, with all of his/her desires, sinful and un-sinful, and they are for your good.
- Having a child is God’s means of grace to reveal sin in your life as well as to draw you to him.
There will definitely be more to come as God is refining and molding me into Christ-likeness through the amazing calling of being a mom. Stay tuned… ;)